People with a speech disability, or those who use a voice synthesizer, can use their own voice on a STS relay call. The Communications Assistant, a specially trained to understand unique speech patterns, repeats the words exactly as they are spoken to their caller.
Please note: no TTY is necessary; only a standard phone.
1. Dial 711 or 1-877-659-4279 to connect to a Speech-to-Speech Communications Assistant (CA) directly.
2. You will connect to a Speech-to-Speech CA who has been specifically trained to provide assistance for customers with mild to severe speech disabilities, as well as customers using voice synthesizers, voice enhancers and other devices.
3. Verbally inform the CA of the area code and telephone number you are calling.
4. Choose the role that you want the CA to take in your call: Active Role: the CA will repeat everything you say to the other party.Passive Role: the CA will intervene only upon request from you or the person you have called.
5. The CA will dial out your call. You will be able to hear the line ringing and everything the person you have called says once the call is answered.
6. Speak directly to the person you have called. The CA will repeat your conversation for you as you previously requested.
7. The CA will disconnect the call when you are finished. Let the CA know if you wish to make another call.
Speed Dial List available on Customer Database Profile
Speech-to-Speech callers can store a list of frequently called names and telephone numbers with Sprint Relay Services by using the Customer Database Profile. This list allows you to call someone without having to provide their telephone number. Cick here to create your new Customer Database Profile
Spanish STS is also available: Dial 1-866-260-9470.
You will be connected to a specially trained Communications Assistant who can re-voice spoken Spanish to a Spanish listener as needed. (Refer to Step-By-Step Instructions for STS Relay Calls to complete your call.)